Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving in Colorado

This year we had our Thanksgiving at home -just the four of us- in Colorado. 
Ashlyn had the menu all thought out:
Turkey
Corn
Green Beans
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Pie
Well, no green beans, but orange/cottage cheese salad instead! And no chocolate pie either.  In fact, I didn't even plan on any pies. (GASP!) I know, I know....my mom is the pie-maker, and I didn't plan on making 1!  Matt wasn't going to have that, so he and Ashlyn set out to make their own pumpkin pie.  All from scratch.  He found a recipe for a sweet crust in his "Cooking" cookbook.  Then they used the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe for the filling -minus the cloves since we didn't have any. 



 The flavor is really nice, actually, with the sweet crust and the pumpkin filling w/o cloves.  Not too strong.  I'm not a pumpkin pie fan AT ALL, but I can handle a few bites of this one.  :)  
 This year was nice to cook things, since we have double ovens. Turkey in the top one, pie in the bottom. That's just what every kitchen needs! 
 We missed being able to have some family around to share the holiday with, but maybe next year. 

No comments: